Friday, February 14, 2014

Sixty Two Years | February 13, 2014




I got out of class early last night after a somewhat tricky statistics test. I had about an hour to kill so I sat down and looked out over the city and let my mind wander...

Relationships. Man, are they tricky. Far trickier than statistics. How do you know in a relationship? How do you know that they won't leave you for someone else? Or that they won't get in a car accident? Or they won't fall out of love with you? How do you know if they're the one? How do you know it won't end in divorce? How do you trust someone that deeply? How could a couple possibly manage a life long love? Then I thought about my grandparents. They have been married 62 years. They must be experts of some kind in this day and age. What did Grandma comfort herself with when Grandpa was at war and away at school? How have they come this far?

Overwhelmed by my own heart, I almost started a game of Candy Crush but suddenly I could sense the Lord telling me, "No, I have something else for you. I'm not done talking yet."

So I called my Grandparents and asked, "How in the world have you been married 62 years?!" I want to share their response with you in light of it being Valentines Day and all. 

These, my friends, are the wise, wise words of a man and woman who have managed to do a life long love for 62 years and counting. 

"We were apart for a good part of the beginning of our marriage. It was difficult without a doubt. We moved all the time and only saw each other on the weekends really. He was in the war and I was a nurse. He went to school and I stayed at home with the children. Perseverance, faith, and commitment got us through those times. It sure was nice when we  were able to live together! You know, it takes 50% of one person and 50% of another to make things work. Sometimes I was 40% and he was 60% and sometimes I was 60% and he was 40% but it always has to equal a whole. A good foundation is important. Having faith, going through the courtship and commitment are all important. We also learned that you can disagree and argue and not have to get a divorce! Sometimes it's easier just to stay married and work it out rather than go through all the aggravation of getting a divorce. We didn't want that aggravation. Also, you know the Lord is the one who blesses relationships. The time apart was difficult but the times together were sweet. We did have all kinds of troubles and hardships but you never call it quits. You have faith in the Lord. That makes a difference. There are no guarantees in life dear. You're right. You just don't know but you rely on the Lord. You know that. And one day after all the "what if's" and "is this it?", after all those questions and feelings you decide, "Yes. Through sickness and health until death do us part." or, "No. This isn't it." I firmly believe that. 

Now hold on, your grand father is right here. 

Charles! It's your grandaughter. She wants to know how we have been married for 62 years. Do you have anything to say?

He's thinking...

"The other person is always right."-Charles LeValley

I should bop him over the head for that! 

Anyways dear, there is no greater feeling than looking at our family-our kids, grandkids, and  great grandkids, and knowing that he and I did that. All those people because of the two of us 62 years ago. It's incredible."

                  -Donna and Charles LeValley 

I don't know how many years the Lord has in that big book for me, let alone sharing it with another person but I trust Him. It's hard as hell to trust Him sometimes and it feels terrible for a while but once I realize that the Lord is good, there is overwhelming peace. The Lord is not cruel. 

The moral of it all?

Call your grandparents (or anyone you love for that matter). Tell them you love them and cherish their wisdom. They are so much better at life and you can only call them for so long this side of heaven. 

Also, God is in control. LOVINGLY in control. His timing is perfect and his love is even more so. 

One last thing. Ever hear the saying, "Absence makes the heart grow fonder."?

That's bull crap. 

The Lord makes the heart grow fonder. Absence is just the space He works in. 

Here's to 62 years, 62 Valentines Days, a million tears, thousands of fights, a whole lot of sarcasm, hours of laughter, a handful of houses and careers, four children, seven grand children, two great grandchildren, two people who said "yes" to a life long love, and one great and awesome God who made it all happen. 


Happy Valentines Day. 








No comments:

Post a Comment